These days using the internet on a day to day basis is almost unavoidable, and when travelling, can be incredibly helpful.
Even if you want to keep your travels unique and spontaneous, these tools can help you get the most out of your adventures.
Best tools for transport – local and long distance
- Moovit transport app – for inner-city guidance with trains, buses, trams, ferries & all inclusive mapping.
- Trainline EU app – If travelling Europe, this app is incredibly straight forward to use – it tells you when the trains depart and arrive, how much they cost, and up coming cheap deals. It also allows you to store all your tickets on the app, meaning you don’t have to print or screen shot anything. Nice and simple!
- Blablacar app – Ride share around the world with people going your direction. It is cheaper and faster then the bus!
Best apps for researching accommodation
- Airbnb app – Airbnb has taken the world by storm, and why wouldn’t it: It’s often the cheapest option, it’s more comfortable than a hostel, and more unique than a hotel. You have the luxury of staying in a real home, with true locals, experiencing life a little more true to its form.
- Hostelworld app – Good for comparative searches, includes guesthouses, dorm rooms and privates.
Best apps for translating and learning languages
- Microsoft translator app – The best thing about this app is that you can download and save a language to it, and use it even when you have no wifi connection. Useful for translating those helpful day to day sayings, or deciphering signs and menus.
- Duolingo app – One of the best rated language learning tools around. Duolingo works in stages, tailored to your competence level, using simple questions and tasks to test and improve your skills. And with the daily reminders to do your homework (only take 10 minutes!), it’s easy to enhance and refine your skills fast!
Best airfare apps and websites
- Skyscanner app – Comparative flight searches, showing you the cheapest, fastest and most direct ways to fly.
- Expedia app – All inclusive app to help you piece together your trip…. includes car hire options, hotels, transfers and flights.
- Ryanair.com app – If in Europe, this is your best bet for the cheapest flights around. Book at least 3 weeks in advance and you could score flights as cheap as £3.